Thursday, May 15, 2008

Meet the Parents

by: Bryan


Meet the Parents


It was January 2005, when I asked Karen if I can accompany her on her way home to their place in Filinvest, Cainta, instead of just going to BPI to wait for her Mom.


After office,
we went to FX terminal along Ayala Avenue, across Philippine and Makati Stock Exchange. After around 30 minutes of travel, we dropped off at Filinvest Estate's entrance gate and rode tricycle. Karen told the tricycle driver, "Kina Reyes po..". Having heard that, I thought, "Wow, sikat! In a very high class / executive subdivision, kilala sila ng mga tao." I even thought, "Baka sa ibang bahay kami dalhin ng driver". =) And we arrived at their house. Their house was not the mansion-like house similar to Pacquiao's mansion in Gen. Santos City. =) It was simple built, white-painted house with three cars: a Mitsubishi-Adventure, a Toyota-Corolla, and an Isuzu pick-up. Astig!

Her Mom opened the gate and greeted us. Since her Mom already met me, Karen didn't introduce me. I sat on their sofa.
Karen took a glass of juice; served Starbucks carrot cake and have some chat with her Mom. I was also introduced to her Lola Blanca. Then after a while, her Dad arrived from Church. Karen introduced me to her Dad and had some small conversation about our travel from Makati. It was 10PM when I asked to go home. Karen took me a ride on their car to Estate's entrance gate. I just took jeepney to Cubao, and took bus to Makati.

In late February 2005, Karen invited me to their house again because it was her father's birthday and wedding anniversary as well. I helped them in the preparation of the celebration.
They also introduced me to her relatives and parents' friends. It was past 10PM when I told them that I will go home. Her parents told me to just sleep at their house since it was already late at night and might not be safe to travel, given my route will be through Cubao. So I was convinced. Karen prepared her room for me. Obviously, Karen had to sleep with her parents. ;) I stayed in their house until afternoon of the next day, because her parents wanted me to come along with them on their way to Makati and just dropped me off in Kalayaan Avenue instead of traveling alone.


***************************************************

Meet the Fockers

It was Holy Week of 2005,
when I invited Karen to go to my hometown in Batangas. I asked permission from her parents so that she can stay with us during the holy week holidays. And she was permitted to come with me. Instead of commuting to province, her father took us a ride on their new Ford Everest to Batangas in the morning of Maundy Thursday. We arrived at Batangas around 10AM. Her Dad met my parents and had lunch with us in our house. I introduced Karen to my Uncles and Aunties and to my Lola. It was around 2PM when her Dad left for Manila. I took her to Balombato pier using our motorcycle for her to witness the beautiful sunset that afternoon.

Karen stayed in our house until Easter Sunday. She met my relatives both from my father's and mother's side.
My family prepared a lot of food even if it was a Lenten season. She slept in my sister's bedroom. She experienced in our home to sleep with "kulambo" and took a bath wherein I fetch water in pale from deep well or "poso". It was Good Friday when Karen and I attended the procession for Jesus Christ's death. I also introduced her to some of my high school friends and barkada. It was Saturday when we went to beach together with my family. We rented a motorized bangka to have a trip across the beaches. In the afternoon, Karen and I went to Real, the rural village where I grew up, so she can meet my mother's relatives and I introduced her to them. My Nanay was very happy to see her. She ate star apple served by my aunties. That Saturday night, we supposed to watch my sister acting as an angel in "Dagit" or "Salubong" but we came late. They were on their way home.

We attended Easter mass in the morning and went back to Manila by afternoon.

Few weeks after, Karen again visited my hometown, when my officemates from Accenture had team building in Calatagan
during our town fiesta.

Here are some pictures of
Karen's first visit to Calatagan:

In our house.
At Balombato pier.
Visit at Real.
During my team visit at Calatagan.

***************************************************

No comments:

The Couple

My photo
Philippines
The Sweet Silent SQL DBA meets the one-of-a-kind girl of his life. A wish come true...